Important Current Affairs 27th November 2018
Government to infuse ₹42,000 cr in PSBs
- To improve the financial condition of Public Sector Banks (PSBs), the government of India will infuse ₹42,000 crore by March 2019.
- The government in early 2018 infused ₹11,336 crore in 5 PSBs: Punjab National Bank, Allahabad Bank, Indian Overseas Bank, Andhra Bank, and Corporation Bank.
- The government had announced the Rs 2.11 lakh crore capital infusion programme in October 2017.
‘Global Wage Report’ released by ILO
- The ‘Global Wage Report’ was released by the International Labour Organisation (ILO) on 27 November 2018.
- According to the report, India recorded the highest average real wage growth in South Asia during the 2017-18.
- India was followed by Nepal, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Pakistan and Iran.
- For the first time, the ILO report also focused on the global gender pay gap.
Prof Punyasloke got Swarnajayanti Fellowship
- Prof Punyasloke Bhaduri of the Indian Institute of Science, Education and Research Kolkata was awarded the prestigious ‘Swarnajayanti Fellowship’ by the government of India for 2017-18.
- Under this fellowship, scientists are provided with generous support to pursue research in the frontier areas of science and technology.
- It is awarded for a period of 5 years.
No homework for students of classes I & II
- According to the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) order, there will be no homework for students of classes I and II.
- The order also said that there will be prescribed weight limit of school bags for each class.
- The weight of school bags for students of classes I and II should not exceed 1.5 kg, while the school bag of students of class III to V should weigh between 2 kg to 3 kg.
Gujarat top state in implementing AB-PMJAY
- According to the data from the health ministry, Gujarat has emerged as the top performer in implementing the Ayushman Bharat-Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB-PMJAY).
- The state accounted for around 26% of the total number of hospital admissions cleared under the scheme so far.
- Tamil Nadu was ranked second and Chattisgarh was ranked third.
- AB-PMJAY was launched on 23 September 2018.
DTAA signed between India and China
- On 26 November 2018, India and China have signed a protocol to amend the ‘Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement’ (DTAA).
- The DTAA has been amended for the avoidance of double taxation and for the prevention of fiscal evasion with respect to taxes on income.
- It also incorporates changes required to implement treaty related minimum standards under ‘Base Erosion and Profit Shifting Project’.
India’s Q2 GDP growth rate at 7.5%-7.6%
- ‘SBI Ecowrap’ report was released by SBI Research on 26 November 2018.
- The report said that India’s GDP growth in the September 2018 quarter (Q2) is expected to slow to 7.5%-7.6% mainly due to the slowdown in rural demand.
- The report also said that SBI Composite Leading Indicator (CLI), a basket of 21 leading indicators for Q2 FY19, is showing a marginal declining trend.
Varsha Varman won women’s trap gold
- Varsha Varman won the women’s trap gold medal at the ’62nd National Championship for Shotgun’ on 26 November 2018.
- She represented Madhya Pradesh at the event.
- She won the bronze medal at the 2014 Asian Games at Incheon in the women’s double trap team event.
SEBI issues norms for raising debt finance
- On 26 November 2018, Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) came out with a framework to identify listed companies that need to meet 25% of their financing needs through debt securities.
- It would be applicable to all entities that have an outstanding long-term borrowing of Rs.100 crore or more and a credit rating of AA and above.
- The framework will come into effect from 1 April 2019.
ISRO to launch India’s ‘HysIS’ satellite
- ISRO will launch ‘PSLV-C43’ mission on 29 November 2018.
- The ‘PSLV-C43’ rocket will carry India’s ‘HysIS’ satellite and 30 other satellites.
- ‘HysIS’ is an earth observation satellite developed by ISRO.
- The primary goal of the satelite is to study the Earth’s surface in visible, near infrared and shortwave infrared regions of the electromagnetic spectrum.
‘Tourist Police’ launched in Nagaland
- Nagaland’s Chief Minister, Neiphiu Rio launched ‘Nagaland Tourist Police’ on 26 November 2018.
- It will work for the safety and security of the tourists and report any crime against them to the nearest police station.
- Nagaland is the second state in the North East to introduce tourist police.
- Arunachal Pradesh is the first state in the North East to introduce tourist police.
‘Hausla-2018’ inaugurated in Delhi
- The national festival for children of Child Care Institutions (CCIs), ‘Hausla 2018’ was inaugurated on 26 November 2018.
- The festival is being organised by the Ministry of Women and Child Development.
- The aim of the festival is to provide a national platform for the children from CCIs across India to showcase their talent.
- The theme of the festival is ‘Child Safety’.
Premji to be conferred French civilian award
- Azim Premji will be conferred with the ‘Chevalier de la Legion d’Honneur’ (Knight of the Legion of Honour).
- Alexandre, Ambassador of France to India will confer the award to Premji.
- The award comes in recognition of his outstanding contribution in developing the information technology industry in India, his economic outreach in France, and his contribution to society as a philanthropist.
Nageshwara Rao appointed as AERB chief
- Nageshwara Rao Guntur has been appointed as the Chairperson of the Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB) on 26 November 2018.
- He is the Chairman of the Project Design Safety Committee, Prototype Fast Breeder Reactor and former distinguished scientist of the Nuclear Power Corporation of India (NPCI) Ltd.
- His appointment as the AERB chairperson will be for three years.
Public bicycle sharing project & app launched
- Odisha’s Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik launched a public bicycle sharing project and a mobile app on 26 November 2018.
- The bicycle sharing project and the mobile app is named ‘Mo Cycle’.
- The project will provide mobile app-based services to users to locate and use a bicycle.
- The ‘Mo Cycle’ system will help in reducing traffic congestion, enhance space efficiency, and improve air quality.
Sunil Arora appointed as new CEC
- President Ram Nath Kovind appointed Sunil Arora as the new Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) on 26 November 2018.
- He will take charge on 2 December 2018.
- He was a 1980-batch IAS officer of the Rajasthan cadre.
- Sunil Arora, who is an Election Commissioner (EC) currently, was appointed to the Election Commission in September 2017.
Hedging provision for ECBs reduced by RBI
- On 26 November 2018, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) relaxed norms for External Commercial Borrowings (ECBs).
- It reduced the mandatory hedge coverage from 100% to 70% under ‘Track I’ of the ECB framework.
- ‘Track I’ refers to medium-term foreign currency-denominated ECBs with a minimum average maturity of 3-5 years.
- This move will help reduce costs for companies that raise foreign funds.
India & ADB signed $200 million agreement
- On 26 November 2018, the government of India and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) signed a $200 million loan agreement.
- The loan amount will be used for widening and upgrading State Highways (SHs) in Bihar under the ‘Bihar State Highways III Project’ (BSHP-III).
- The Project will also establish a State-level Road Research Institute.
GSI is the custodian of all meteorites
- The Geological Survey of India (GSI) has been made the sole custodian and curator of all meteorites within the Indian boundary.
- It has been declared as the nodal agency for collection, preservation, registration, and dissemination of all meteorite falls/finds within the country.
- The declaration was made by the Ministry of Mines.
- The GSI is headquartered in Kolkata.
‘PAiSA’ launched by government of India
- The government of India launched ‘PAiSA – Portal for Affordable Credit and Interest Subvention Access’ on 26 November 2018.
- The portal is a centralised electronic platform for processing interest subvention on bank loans to beneficiaries under ‘Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana’.
- The web platform has been designed and developed by ‘Allahabad Bank’ which is the Nodal bank.