Current Affairs 2018 in ENGLISH – Candidates who are preparing for gov jobs can check the current affairs of 18 Sep 2018 in English .
Current Affairs 18 September 2018 in English
Updated daily current affairs for 18th Sep 2018. Please visit Bhartialert Website for more Current Affairs in English.
> Current Affairs 18th Sep 2018
Important Current Affairs 18 September 2018:-
If you are appearing for any Government Recruitment Exam, it is important that you are familiar with the happenings around the world. Current Affairs is an important part of your syllabus apart from English, Quantitative Aptitude or Logical Reasoning! Thus, we bring you the Important General Awareness in PDF. Now, Banking, SSC and Insurance aspirants can read the update containing all the Important Current Affairs 18th September 2018.
Check this Daily Current Affairs Video and acquaint yourself with the current events for the preparation of various Government Exams.
Important Current Affairs 18th September 2018
India and Malta sign three MoUs
- India and Malta signed three MoUs in the fields of Maritime Cooperation, Tourism and Training.
- The MoUs has been made after delegation level talks between Vice President, Venkaiah Naidu and President of Malta, Ms. Marie-Louise Coleiro Preca.
- Malta’s Capital is Valletta and Currency is Euro.
Germany launched world’s first hydrogen train
- Germany has launched the world’s first hydrogen-powered train named ‘Coradia iLint train’.
- The ‘Coradia iLint trains‘ can run for around 1,000 kilometres on a single tank of hydrogen.
- The trains have been built by French TGV-maker Alstom.
- Hydrogen trains are equipped with fuel cells that produce electricity through a combination of hydrogen and oxygen.
S Jaishankar joins board of USISPF
- Former foreign secretary S Jaishankar has joined the board of the US-India Strategic Partnership Forum (USISPF).
- Jaishankar is currently president of Global Corporate Affairs for the Tata Group.
- He is known for playing a key role in negotiating the Indo-US civil nuclear agreement.
- USISPF is a forum founded with the objective of promoting a strategic relationship between the US and India.
AAI to Develop Sri Lanka’s Palaly Airport
- Airports Authority of India (AAI) will prepare a detailed project report (DPR) for development of Palaly airport in Sri Lanka.
- All the technical and design aspects would be covered in the DPR, which is expected to be completed in three months.
- This would be the first project for AAI in Sri Lanka.
- The AAI manages more than 120 airports in different parts of India.
NABARD Approves Rs 65,635 Crore Loan
- The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development has approved Rs 65,634.93 crore loan so far to 93 prioritized irrigation projects.
- The projects are under the government’s flagship scheme Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana (PMKSY).
- The NABARD is funding the central and state share of 99 prioritized irrigation projects under the PMKSY through long-term irrigation fund (LTIF).
Gujarat High Court strikes down GST provision
- The Gujarat High Court has struck down a provision of the GST Act.
- Act prohibited ‘first stage dealers from transitioning excise duty credit on goods procured more than a year before the rollout of the new indirect tax regime on July 1, 2017.
- Under GST, businesses are allowed to claim credit of taxes paid on goods bought within 12 months of the appointed date for GST or after July 1, 2016.
No withholding tax on interest of masala bonds
- The Central Board of Direct Taxes said ‘no withholding tax’ will apply on interest payments made by an Indian company or a business trust to a non-resident.
- This is in respect to the offshore rupee-denominated bonds issued between September 17, 2018, and March 31, 2019.
- The move is expected to incentivise foreign exchange inflows into India through low-cost offshore rupee-denominated bonds.
India’s first woman IAS officer dead
- India’s first woman IAS officer after Independence, Anna Rajam Malhotra died in Mumbai on 17 Sept 2018.
- She served in the Madras State under then Chief Minister C. Rajagopalachari and at the Central government.
- Ms. Malhotra joined the civil services in 1951 and opted for the Madras cadre.
- She married R.N. Malhotra, who served as Governor of the Reserve Bank of India from 1985 to 1990.
Varun and Anushka signed as ambassadors of SIM
- Varun Dhawan and Anushka Sharma have been signed on to promote and endorse the Skill India Mission (SIM), chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Skill India Mission is led by the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) and aims to standardise vocational training.
- The two actors will dedicate time to promote the skilled talent in the country.
IAF plans to make strategic base in Andhra
- The Indian Air Force has come up with major plans for Andhra Pradesh to make it a ‘strategic base’.
- AF plans to set up a major helicopter training facility at Donakonda in Prakasam district
- A drone manufacturing facility in Anantapur district
- A cyber security centre in Amaravati.
- IAF has sought land in Guntur district to expand the existing Air Force Station.
Prashant Kumar takes charge as SBI CFO
- Prashant Kumar has taken charge as the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of the State Bank of India.
- Prior to this appointment, Prashant was designated as Deputy Managing Director (HR) & Corporate Development Officer of SBI.
- Before Prashant, Anshula Kant was the CFO of SBI now she has been promoted as Managing Director of SBI.
PayU India to operate its own NBFC
- PayU India has received Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI) approval to operate its own Non-Banking Financial Company (NBFC).
- The move will help PayU promote inclusive growth in the country by catering to the diverse financial needs of various segments of the society.
- PayU India is the digital payments firm owned by South Africa’s Naspers Ltd.
Projects worth over Rs.500 cr in Varanasi
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated and laid the foundation stone for projects worth over 500 crore rupees in Varanasi.
- Projects inaugurated are Integrated Power Development Scheme for Puraani Kashi and an Atal Incubation Centre at the Banaras Hindu University (BHU).
- PM also laid the foundation stone of Regional Ophthalmology Centre at the BHU.
India Tourism Mart 2018 inaugurated
- The Union Minister for Railways and Coal, Shri Piyush Goyal inaugurated the ‘first ever’ India Tourism Mart in New Delhi.
- The India Tourism Mart is being organized by the Ministry of Tourism in partnership with the Federation of Associations in Indian Tourism and Hospitality (FAITH).
- FAITH is the apex organization of all the important trade and hospitality associations of the country.
Bangladesh approves use of its seaports
- Bangladesh’s Cabinet on September 17, 2018, approved the draft of a proposed agreement with India.
- Under the agreement, it will allow India to use the Chittagong and Mongla seaports for transporting goods to and from its land-locked northeastern states.
- A tracking system will be used to monitor the cargo moving through Bangladesh.
Ind-Sri Lanka sign MoU for Dambulla warehouse
- India and Sri Lanka signed a MoU for construction of a 5000-metric ton temperature controlled warehouse in Dambulla of Central Province, Sri Lanka.
- The warehouse will be constructed with an Indian grant assistance of 30 crore Sri Lankan rupees.
- The warehouse will be constructed for fruits and vegetables to minimize their post-harvest losses.
SC allows sale of Saridon, 3 other drugs
- Supreme Court allowed the sale of the drug and three other banned fixed-dose combinations (FDCs).
- With this order, Saridon will be available in medical stores across the country.
- Supreme Court, however, did not grant any relief to the other medicines falling in the list of 328 FDC drugs which were banned by the Health Ministry by its September 7, 2018, notification.
Silver medal at Medved Intl Wrestling
- Sakshi Malik settled for a Silver medal at the Medved International Wrestling tournament at Minsk, Belarus.
- In the Final of the 62 kg category, Sakshi lost to Hungary’s Marianna Sastin, 2-6 to finish second best.
- Indian grappler Pooja Dhanda also bagged a Bronze medal in the 57 kg category.
No odd-even rule for two-wheelers: SC
- The Supreme Court stayed a National Green Tribunal order making the odd-even vehicle rotation scheme applicable to all, including scooters and motorbikes.
- The Supreme Court also exempted women driving four-wheelers from the odd-even scheme.
- Under the odd-even vehicle rotation scheme, odd and even numbered vehicles ply on alternate days.
Merger of BoB, Vijaya & Dena banks proposed
- The government of India proposed the merger of state-owned Bank of Baroda, Dena Bank and Vijaya Bank to create India’s third-largest bank.
- The decision was taken at the meeting of a panel, headed by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, which oversees merger proposals of state-owned banks.
- The other members of the panel include Railways Minister Piyush Goyal and Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman.