Important Current Affairs 3rd December 2018
Three astronauts set to launch to ISS
- According to NASA, 3 space travellers are scheduled to launch to the International Space Station (ISS) on 3 December 2018 for a six-and-a-half month mission.
- They will officially become the part of ‘Expedition 58’ crew.
- Anne McClain of NASA, David Saint-Jacques of the Canadian Space Agency and Oleg Kononenko of Russian space agency are preparing to launch aboard the Soyuz MS-11 spacecraft.
Vinesh won the national title in wrestling
- In Wrestling, Vinesh Phogat won the 57-kilogram national title at the ‘Tata Motors Senior National Championship 2018’ in Gonda, Uttar Pradesh on 1 December 2018.
- She had earlier won five national titles in a row from 2012 to 2016.
- Sakshi Malik also won the national title at the ‘Tata Motors Senior National Championship 2018’ in the 62-kilogram category.
WB unveils $200 Billion in climate action
- The World Bank unveiled $200 billion in climate action investment for 2021-25 on 3 December 2018.
- World Bank said it has doubled funding of its current five-year plan.
- This move represents a significantly ramped up ambition to tackle climate change.
- The World Bank said the breakdown of the $200 billion would comprise ‘approximately $100 billion in direct finance from the World Bank.
President Ramaphosa will be the Chief guest
- South African President Cyril Ramaphosa will be the chief guest at India’s Republic Day celebrations on 26 January 2019.
- The celebrations are held every year before the President of India.
- In 2018, the chief guest at Republic Day celebrations were the 10 heads of state from ASEAN countries.
- The Chief guest at India’s first Republic Day on 26 January 1950 was the President of Indonesia.
ASEAN Defence Ministers meeting begins
- The ASEAN Defence Ministers Meeting Plus (ADMM-Plus) Experts’ Working Group on ‘Military Medicine’ began at the Central Command in Lucknow on 2 December 2018.
- The meeting will conclude on 6 December 2018.
- The meeting is being co-chaired by India and Myanmar.
- The aim of the conference is to establish better co-operation in medical operations amongst ASEAN and ASEAN-Plus countries.
Qatar to quit OPEC in January 2019
- Qatar will withdraw from the Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) in January 2019.
- Qatar is the first Gulf country to leave the bloc of oil-producing countries.
- Qatar is the world’s biggest supplier of Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG).
- The OPEC is an intergovernmental organisation of 15 nations, founded in 1960 in Baghdad and headquartered in Vienna, Austria.
‘Nomophobia’ declared ‘People’s Word of Year’
- Cambridge Dictionary has named ‘nomophobia’ as ‘People’s Word of 2018’.
- ‘Nomophobia’ means the fear or worry at the idea of being without your mobile phone or unable to use it.
- Nomophobia is a blend, which means it is made up of syllables from two or more words, in this case, it was made from ‘no mobile phone phobia’.
A.S. Rajeev is the new MD & CEO of BoM
- A.S. Rajeev has been appointed as Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer of Bank of Maharashtra (BoM) on 2 December 2018.
- Prior to this, he was the Executive Director of Indian Bank.
- Bank of Maharashtra was established on 16 September 1935.
- Its headquarters is situated in Pune, Maharashtra.
- Its tagline is ‘One Family One Bank’.
Tactical exercise ‘Vajra Kayaa’ completed
- On 1 December 2018, the Special Forces of India and United States completed their three-day tactical exercise called ‘Vajra Kayaa’.
- ‘Vajra Kayaa’ is a part of the joint military drill ‘Vajra Prahar 2018’.
- ‘Vajra Kayaa’ was based on the narrative of an imaginary country going into a civil war due to a weak democratic structure.
- ‘Vajra Prahar 2018’ is being held between India and the US.
‘Digital Sky Platform’ launched
- The Civil Aviation Ministry launched the ‘Digital Sky Platform’ for the registration of drones and their operators on 1 December 2018.
- To get permissions to fly drones, operators or remote pilots will have to file a flight plan.
- Payments for Unmanned Aerial Operator’s Permit and Unique Identification Numbers (UIN) will be accepted through the Bharat Kosh (bharatkosh.gov.in) portal.
ERSS launched in Nagaland
- Pan-India single emergency number ‘112’ under ‘Emergency Response Support System’ (ERSS) was launched in Nagaland on 1 December 2018.
- It will connect to Police, Fire, Health and other helplines.
- Nagaland is the first amongst the North-Eastern States and the second State in India to launch the emergency number ‘112’.
- Himachal Pradesh is the first state to launch the emergency number ‘112’.
Atlawim won the ‘Pune International Marathon’
- Atlawim Debebe of Ethiopia won the ‘Pune International Marathon’ with the timing of 2 hours 17 minutes 17 seconds on 2 December 2018.
- Teshome Getachew claimed second and Bekele Asefa third position in the marathon.
- In women’s Full Marathon Pascalia Chepkogei from Kenya stood first with the timing of 2 hour 50 minutes 27 seconds.
- This was the 33rd year of Pune International Marathon.
WCO policy commission commenced on 3 Dec
- The 80th session of the three-day Policy Commission of the World Customs Organisation (WCO) began in Mumbai from 3 December 2018.
- The meeting will conclude on 5 December 2018.
- Issues like trade facilitation and controlling illicit financial flow will be discussed at the meeting.
- The meeting is being organised by the WCO and hosted by the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs.
Sushma Swaraj began her UAE visit
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj visited the United Arab Emirates (UAE) on 3 December 2018.
- She will co-chair the 12th India-UAE Joint Commission Meeting for Economic and Technical Cooperation with UAE Foreign Minister, Sheikh Abdullah in Abu Dhabi.
- She will also inaugurate a ‘Gandhi-Zayed Digital Museum’ in Abu Dhabi.
- The capital of UAE is Abu Dhabi and its currency is Dirham.
Asia Pacific Summit 2018 began in Kathmandu
- The ‘Asia Pacific Summit-2018’ was held in Kathmandu on 1 December 2018.
- The theme of the Summit is ‘Addressing the Critical Challenges of Our Time: Interdependence, Mutual Prosperity, and Universal Values’.
- It was organised by the South Korea-based ‘Universal Peace Federation’ and supported by the Government of Nepal.
Panel to look at selling OIL, ONGC fields
- The government of India has constituted a six-member panel to look at selling small and marginal oil and gas fields of state-owned ONGC and Oil India.
- The panel is headed by NITI Aayog Vice Chairman Rajiv Kumar and includes Cabinet Secretary P. K. Sinha and Oil Secretary M. M. Kutty.
- The smaller fields of ONGC and Oil India accounted for just 5% of the domestic crude oil production.
Andres Manuel sworn in as Mexico President
- Leftist leader Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador sworn in as the new Mexican President on 1 December 2018.
- He won the Presidential election on 1 July 2018.
- Prior to becoming President, he was the Mayor of Mexico City.
- The capital of Mexico is Mexico City and its currency is Mexican Peso.
Day of Persons with Disabilities: 3 December
- The International Day of Persons with Disabilities is observed every year on 3 December.
- The aim of the day is to increase awareness of the situation of persons with disabilities in every aspect of political, social, economic, and cultural life.
- The theme for 2018 is ‘Empowering persons with disabilities and ensuring inclusiveness and equality’.
India to host G20 summit in 2022
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced that India will host the G-20 summit in 2022.
- Argentina hosted the G20 summit in 2018.
- The G-20 is a group of the world’s 20 major economies : Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, the European Union, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, South Korea, Turkey, the UK, and the US.
Conference on climate change began in Poland
- The 24th meeting of Conference of Parties (COP-24) to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) began in Poland on 3 December 2018.
- The Conference will conclude on 14 December 2018.
- COP-24 is very significant as it is expected to finalise guidelines for implementation of the ‘Paris Agreement’ adopted in 2016.