Current Affairs 28 Sep 2018 in ENGLISH - Candidates who are preparing for gov jobs can check the current affairs of 25 Sep 2018 in English .
Current Affairs 28 September 2018 in English
Updated daily current affairs for 28th Sep 2018. Please visit Bhartialert Website for more Current Affairs in English.
Current Affairs 28th Sep 2018
If you are appearing for any Government Recruitment Exam, it is important that you are familiar with the happenings around the world. Current Affairs is an important part of your syllabus apart from English, Quantitative Aptitude or Logical Reasoning! Thus, we bring you the Important General Awareness in PDF. Now, Banking, SSC and Insurance aspirants can read the update containing all the Important Current Affairs 28th September 2018. You can also attempt yesterday’s current affairs quiz:
Check this Daily Current Affairs Video and acquaint yourself with the current events for the preparation of various Government Exams.
Important Current Affairs 28th September 2018 in English
CSL-Andaman and Nicobar signed MoU
- Cochin Shipyard Ltd (CSL) signed an agreement with the Andaman and Nicobar administration to spruce up the operational efficiency of the marine dockyard in Port Blair.
- The agreement also ensures the faster turnaround of vessels for seamless operations.
- The islands have a key position in India’s strategic role in the Bay of Bengal and the Malacca Strait.
World Rabies Day: 28 September
- World Rabies Day is celebrated annually on September 28 to raise awareness about rabies prevention.
- The theme for 2018 is ‘Rabies: Share the message. Save a life’.
- The day marks the death anniversary of Louis Pasteur, the French chemist, and microbiologist, who developed the first rabies vaccine.
India ranks 96th on Economic Freedom Index
- India’s ranks 96th among 162 countries on Economic Freedom in the World, released by the Centre for Civil Society (CCS).
- India ranked 98th on the index in the previous year’s report.
- Hong Kong and Singapore again topped the index with the first and the second country respectively.
- The 2018 report is based on data from 2016.
Govt launched Agmark online system
- The government launched an online platform for processing applications related to quality certification mark ‘Agmark’ for agricultural products.
- Agmark is certification mark that assures conformity to a set of standards approved by the Directorate of Marketing and Inspection.
- In the new online application system, there are provisions for online receipt of fees from the applicants.
CoE for Data Analytics and DigiVaarta
- National Informatics Centre (NIC) and National Informatics Centre Services Incorporated (NICSI) have jointly set up a Centre of Excellence (CoE) for data analytics to support the government.
- The Centre of Excellence for Data Analytics (CEDA) was launched on 28th September 2018.
- NIC is a technology advisor and ICT solution provider to Government at all levels.
2nd Hornbill’s Flight International Race
- The 2nd edition of the cycle race, ‘Dalmia MTB Arunachal; Hornbill’s Flight International Race’ will be held on 14-22 November.
- The cycling track extends from Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh to Mechuka in the West Siang district about 650 km away.
- More than 100 cyclists from over 10 countries will participate.
- The total prize money for the race is of Rs 22.5 lakhs.
SC allowed entry of women in Sabrimala temple
- The Supreme Court on 28 September 2018 allowed entry of women of all ages into the Ayyappa temple at Sabarimala in Kerala.
- The SC said banning entry of women to Kerala’s Sabarimala temple is gender discrimination and the practice violates rights of Hindu women.
- The court gave its verdict on a clutch of pleas challenging the ban on entry of women at Sabarimala in Kerala.
National Tourism Awards 2016-17
- Tourism Minister K J Alphons presented National Tourism Awards 2016-17 in various segments of the Travel, Tourism, and Hospitality.
- Andhra Pradesh bagged the first prize in state category for comprehensive development of tourism followed by Kerala.
- Rajasthan and Goa jointly shared the third prize.
- India will be the host country for official World Tourism Day celebrations in 2019.
Kavita Mahajan passed away in Pune
- Eminent Marathi litterateur and translator Kavita Mahajan passed away in Pune on 27 September 2018.
- She was the winner of 2011 Sahitya Akademi translation award.
- Her fluent translation from Urdu to Marathi of 17 short stories by Ismat Chugtai won her the 2011 Sahitya Akademi prize for best translation.
‘Incredible India’ Mobile App launched
- The Union Tourism Minister, K.J. Alphons on the World Tourism Day launched the ‘Incredible India’ Mobile App.
- The app showcases India as a holistic destination, revolving around major experiences, such as spirituality, heritage, culture, yoga, wellness etc.
- The app has been developed by Tech Mahindra.
- The app is equipped with features to assist the traveler in each phase of their journey.
Centre steps up grant for disaster fund
- The government of India has enhanced its contribution in the State Disaster Response Fund (SDRF) from 75% to 90% with effect from April 2018.
- As per revised guidelines, the government of India will contribute 90% while states will contribute 10% to the relief fund.
- SDRF was established at the state level to meet the rescue and relief expenditure of disaster-affected states.
India-UN signed 5 year SDF (2018-2022)
- NITI Aayog CEO, Amitabh Kant and United Nations Resident Coordinator in India, Yuri Afanasiev, signed the ‘Government of India-United Nations Sustainable Development Framework’ (UNSDF) for 2018-2022.
- 19 UN agencies have signed on the UNSDF 2018-2022.
- The UNSDF 2018-22 comprises of seven priority areas that outline the work that UN agencies will undertake.
India’s first flood forecast system launched
- The Kolkata Municipal Corporation, with the support of the Asian Development Bank launched the India’s first flood forecasting and early-warning system.
- The system will provide real-time data on inundation, rainfall intensity, temperature, air quality and other climate-related data.
- This will help policy-makers to make informed decisions during disasters.
Govt forms Lokpal search committee
- The government has set up an 8 member Lokpal Search Committee under the Chairmanship of former Supreme Court Judge, Justice Ranjana Prakash Desai.
- The panel will recommend the names for the Chairperson and Members of the Lokpal
- Prasar Bharati Chairman A Surya Prakash, former SBI Chief Arundhati Bhattacharya and Justice Sukha Ram Singh Yadav among others will be members of the panel.
RBI eases cash reserve rules
- The Reserve Bank of India eased mandatory cash requirement rules for banks to provide “durable liquidity” to the economy.
- RBI said that banks could ‘carve out’ up to 15% of holdings under the Statutory Liquidity Reserves to meet their Liquidity Coverage Ratio (LCR) requirements as compared to 13% now.
- The relaxation in Statutory Liquidity Ratio requirement with effect from October 1, 2018
Rajni Kant Mishra is the new chief of BSF
- The government appointed Rajni Kant Mishra as the Director-General of Border Security Force (BSF).
- Rajni Kant Mishra is the 1984 batch Indian Police Service officer of Uttar Pradesh cadre.
- At present, Rajni Kant Mishra is the head of Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB).
- He will head the BSF till August 31, 2019.
Argentina got biggest loan from IMF
- Argentina has received the biggest loan package ever from the International Monetary Fund (IMF).
- The loan amount of $57 billion will be disbursed over the next 3 years.
- The aim is to restore the Argentina’s struggling economy.
- As per the loan agreement, IMF will only allow Argentina’s central bank to intervene to stabilize its currency if the peso depreciates below 44 pesos to the dollar.
UN General meeting on ending TB
- The United Nations General Assembly’s first-ever high-level meeting on tuberculosis (TB) to accelerate efforts in ending TB was held on 26 September 2018 in New York.
- The theme of the meeting was “United to end tuberculosis: an urgent global response to a global epidemic”.
- At the meeting, representatives adopted a declaration to “reaffirm” their promise to build a TB-free world by 2030.
1st consignment of rice to China from Nagpur
- The first consignment of non-basmati rice of 100 tonnes have been shipped to China from Nagpur.
- The consignment will be received by China National Cereals, Oils and Foodstuffs Corporation.
- 19 rice mills have been registered for export of non-basmati rice from India to China.
- The protocol to export rice was signed on 9 June 2018, at Qingdao, China, during Narendra Modi’s visit.
ADB approved $150 mn loan for Madhya Pradesh
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) will provide $150 million loan for establishing the first multi-skills park in Madhya Pradesh.
- The skills park will be equipped with international training facilities to enhance the quality of Madhya Pradesh’s technical and vocational education and training (TVET) system.
- Skills Park campus will be established in Bhopal.