Current Affairs 27 August 2018 in English
Updated daily current affairs for 27 August 2018. Please visit Bhartialert Website for more Current Affairs in English.
> Current Affairs 27 August 2018
Important Current Affairs 27 August 2018
If you are appearing for any Government Recruitment Exam, it is important that you are familiar with the happenings around the world. Current Affairs is an important part of your syllabus apart from English, Quantitative Aptitude or Logical Reasoning! Thus, we bring you the Important General Awareness in PDF. Now, Banking, SSC and Insurance aspirants can read the update containing all the Important Current Affairs 27th August 2018.
Important Current Affairs 27th August 2018
Committee on review of Company Act 2013
- The committee on review of penal provisions of Company Act 2013 submitted its final report to Finance and Corporate Affairs Minister Arun Jaitley in New Delhi.’
- The committee is headed by Corporate Affairs Secretary Injeti Srinivas.
- The Committee was constituted by the government in July 2018 to review the existing framework dealing with offences under the Companies Act, 2013.
2nd marriage won’t be void during divorce pet
- The Supreme Court has clarified that a second marriage is valid even if divorce proceedings of the first marriage are pending in court.
- Section 5(1) of the Hindu Marriage Act places a bar on marriage by a person who has a spouse living at the time of the marriage.
- Section 11 makes such a marriage null and void.
NASA spacecraft approaches asteroid Bennu
- NASA’s Origins, Spectral Interpretation, Resource Identification, Security-Regolith Explorer (OSIRIS-REx) spacecraft has captured the first glimpse of its distant target — asteroid Bennu .
- The OSIRIS-REx is a NASA’s first mission to visit a near-Earth asteroid-Bennu.
- OSIRIS-REx was launched on September 8, 2016.
- It will help unveil the mysteries of our solar system’s formation.
Government unveils sports policy for CPSEs
- The Government of India launched a policy framework for the promotion of sports in CPSEs (Central Public Sector Enterprises).
- The policy will support CPSEs for recreation, positive health, competitive excellence and social harmony.
- CPSEs will allocate a specific budget for sports activities as per their capability and financial strength.
BNHS to open its regional centre
- The Bombay Natural History Society (BNHS) will start operating its regional centre on the campus of Wetland Research and Training Centre near Chilika Lake in Odisha.
- BNHS is India’s premier avian research institutes.
- The centre will carry out research on the avian disease by collecting samples and monitor the Nalabana Bird Sanctuary.
Spritzer telescope completes 15 years in space
- NASA’s Spitzer Space Telescope, the youngest member of the “Great Observatory” programme, has completed 15 years in space.
- The Great Observatories are four space telescopes – Spitzer, Hubble Space Telescope, the Compton Gamma Ray Observatory (CGRO), and the Chandra X-ray Observatory.
- Spitzer is designed to view the universe in different and complementary wavelengths of light.
India – Kenya JTC meeting held in Nairobi
- The 8th meeting of India-Kenya Joint Trade Committee (JTC) was held in Nairobi, Kenya, from 22nd – 25th August 2018.
- At present, India is one of Kenya’s largest trade partners and the second largest foreign investor in Kenya.
- The last meeting of Joint Trade Committee was held in New Delhi in February 2015.
‘Amaravati Bonds’ gets BSE listing
- The bonds titled ‘Amaravati Bond 2018’ have been listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange.
- Through bonds, funds will be raised to build Andhra Pradesh’s capital Amaravati.
- The bonds has been issued by A.P. Capital Region Development Authority (APCRDA).
- A bond is a fixed income investment where an entity borrows funds from investors for a fixed period of time at an interest rate.
M.P. seeks revival of cheetah project
- The Madhya Pradesh forest department has written to the National Tiger Conservation Authority to revive the plan to reintroduce cheetahs in the Nauradehi sanctuary.
- The cheetah — which is the fastest land animal — was declared extinct in India in 1952.
- The country’s last spotted cheetah died in Chhattisgarh in 1947.
Saina Nehwal won bronze in Badminton
- Saina Nehwal won a bronze medal in the women’s singles semifinals of the 18th Asian Games in Jakarta on 27th August 2018.
- She was defeated by Tai Tzu Ying of Chinese Taipei.
- Last time an Indian, who won a singles medal in men’s singles was Syed Modi in the 1982 Asian Games.
India’s first biofuel-powered flight tested
- India’s first biofuel-powered flight that aims to reduce costs of air travel by replacing the costly aviation turbine fuel was successfully tested by SpiceJet on 27th August 2018.
- The biofuel is made partially from resources such as agricultural residues, non-edible oils and bio-degradable fractions of industrial and municipal wastes.
- The flight will travel from Dehradun to Delhi.
Tajinder Pal Singh won gold in shotput
- Tajinderpal Singh Toor won the men’s shot put gold medal at the Asian Games 2018.
- He threw the iron ball to 20.75m to win the gold and set a national record as well.
- China’s Liu Yang won the silver medal while Ivan Ivanov of Kazakhstan won the bronze medal.
Muhammad Anas won silver medal
- Muhammad Anas won a silver medal in the men’s 400m race in Asian Games 2018.
- The gold medal was won by Qatar.
- India’s Arokia Rajiv who was also in the final finished fourth.
- It was also the first time since 1982 that India won a medal in the men’s and women’s 400 metres since 1982.
Fouaad won equestrian silver at Asian Games
- Fouaad Mirza became the first Indian to win an individual medal in the equestrian event at the Asian Games in Jakarta on 26th August 2018.
- He won the silver medal in the Eventing competition, while Japan won the gold medal.
- The last individual medal in Eventing competition, however, came in 1982.
Dutee Chand won Silver medal in 100m race
- Dutee Chand won silver medal in women’s 100m on 26th August, 2018 at the Asian Games in Indonesia.
- It was India’s first medal in 20 years in this event.
- India’s last medal in this event was the bronze won by Rachita Mistry in 1998 Asian Games.
- Bahrain won the gold medal while China took the bronze medal.
PNB ranked best bank for digital transactions
- Based on the report of Department of Financial Services, Punjab National Bank (PNB) has been ranked as the best Public Sector bank in the overall digital transactions category in India.
- It has been rated as the sixth-best in the overall category amongst all banks in India for digital performance.
- The bank is rated as ‘Good’ by the government with a score of 71.
‘FAME India II’ will be launched on Sept 7
- The 2nd phase of the ‘FAME India’ scheme will launched on September 7, 2018.
- The scheme for Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of Hybrid Electric Vehicles (FAME) India was introduced in a bid to incentivise sales and manufacturing of electric vehicles in the country.
- FAME II will offer subsidies to all categories of electric vehicles including two-wheelers, three-wheelers, four-wheelers.
Vietnam to host Indian Ocean conference
- The third edition of Indian Ocean Conference is set to begin on August 27 at Hanoi, the capital of Vietnam.
- The theme of the two- day conference will focus on ‘Building Regional Architectures’, particularly with regards to trade and commerce, security and governance.
- Earlier, the conference was held in Singapore and Sri Lanka in 2016 and 2017 respectively.
Maurya sworn in as Uttarakhand Governor
- Baby Rani Maurya was sworn in as the new Governor of Uttarakhand on 26th August 2018.
- The oath of office and secrecy was administered to Ms Maurya by the acting Chief Justice of the Uttarakhand High Court Rajiv Sharma.
- Ms Maurya, a former mayor of Agra, was nominated as governor of Uttarakhand on August 21, 2018.
- She replaces Krishna Kant Paul whose five-year tenure ended in August 2018.
G Satheesh Reddy appointed DRDO chairman
- G Satheesh Reddy was appointed Chairman of the Defence Research Development Organisation (DRDO) on 25th August 2018.
- Reddy is the scientific adviser to the Defence Minister.
- He will also be the secretary of Department of Defence Research and Development (DoDRD).
- Established in 1980, the DoDRD advises the government on scientific aspects of military equipment and logistics.
Best Of Luck!