Important Current Affairs 1st December 2018
Reggae gets into heritage list
- UNESCO added ‘Reggae’ music to its collection of ‘intangible cultural heritage’ deemed worthy of protection and promotion on 29 November 2018.
- ‘Reggae’ music originated in Jamaica.
- Intangible Cultural Heritage is defined as intangible heritage as the practices, representations, expressions, knowledge, and skills that communities and individuals recognize as part of their cultural heritage.
4 Indian-origin women among Forbes list
- Four Indian-origin technology executives have made it to the Forbes’ list of America’s 50 women in technology space in 2018.
- The list includes Neha Narkhede, Chief technology Officer and co-founder of Confluent; Kamakshi Sivaramakrishnan, CEO and founder of Drawbridge.
- The other two are Padmasree Warrior, former Chief Technology Officer of Cisco, and Komal Mangtani, Senior Director at Uber.
Raninder first Indian to be elected ISSF’s VP
- Raninder Singh has become the first Indian to be elected as one of the four Vice-Presidents of the International Shooting Sports Federation (ISSF).
- He also heads the National Rifle Association of India.
- ISSF is the governing body of the Olympic Shooting events in Rifle, Pistol and Shotgun disciplines, and of several non-Olympic Shooting sport events.
- The ISSF headquarters is in Germany.
Defence Ministry approved military procurement
- The Defence Acquisitions Council (DAC), chaired by Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman accorded approval for the acquisition of defence equipment worth 3000 crores on 1 December 2018.
- The DAC granted approval for procurement of indigenous Brahmos Missiles for two Indian Navy Ships to be built in Russia.
- The DAC also approved the procurement of Armoured Recovery Vehicles for the Indian Army.
Suu Kyi stripped Of ‘Freedom Of Paris’ Award
- Paris city stripped Aung San Suu Kyi of her honorary ‘Freedom of Paris’ award over her failure to speak out against a crackdown on Rohingya minority.
- Aung San Suu Kyi is the first person to lose the ‘Freedom of Paris’, a symbolic award.
- She has already been stripped of her honorary Canadian citizenship and her Amnesty International’s ‘Ambassador of Conscience Award’.
‘CII Agro Tech 2018’ inaugurated in Chandigarh
- President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated the ‘International CII Agro Tech 2018’ in Chandigarh on 1 December 2018.
- It is organised by Confederation of Indian Industries (CII).
- The theme for ‘International CII Agro Tech 2018’ is ‘Technology in Agriculture: Increasing Farmer’s Income’.
- The partner country is Great Britain while focus countries are Canada and China.
Infra growth slows down to 4.8% in Oct 2018
- The growth rate of eight infrastructure sectors slowed down to 4.8% in October 2018 due to contraction in the production of crude oil, natural gas, and fertiliser.
- During April-October 2018-19, the eight sectors recorded a growth rate of 5.4%.
- Eight infrastructure sectors comprise coal, crude oil, natural gas, refinery products, fertilisers, steel, cement, and electricity.
Orphanage trafficking to be treated as slavery
- ‘Modern Slavery Bill’ was passed by Australian Parliament on 29 November 2018.
- Under the new law, ‘orphanage trafficking’ will be treated as a slavery and trafficking offence.
- Australia has become the first country in the world to recognise ‘orphanage trafficking’ as a form of slavery.
- Orphanage trafficking is where children are actively recruited into orphanages for profit purposes.
US, Canada, & Mexico have signed ‘USMCA’
- The United States, Canada, and Mexico have signed a new trade agreement which will replace the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) on 30 November 2018.
- The new trade agreement has been renamed as the ‘United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement’ (USMCA).
- USMCA will govern more than $1 trillion worth of trade between the countries.
2nd ‘Tejas’ train to run b/w Chennai & Madurai
- The second ‘Tejas’ superfast express train will be operated between Chennai and Madurai.
- The train coaches are equipped with modern entertainment system, modular toilets, smart windows, and GPS-based passenger information system.
- The coaches have been manufactured at the Integral Coach Factory in Chennai.
- The first ‘Tejas’ train was launched in 2017 between Mumbai and Goa.
‘TIPS’ system launched by ECB
- The European Central Bank (ECB) launched the first pan-eurozone instant payment system called ‘TARGET Instant Payment Settlement’ (TIPS) system on 30 November 2018.
- The ‘TIPS’ system will let people and companies in Europe transfer money to each other within seconds.
- It will settle transactions only in euros.
- It is restricted to European Union banks only.
Esha Singh won 3 gold medals in shooting
- Shooter Esha Singh won three gold medals at the ’62nd National Shooting Championship’ at Thiruvananthapuram on 29 November 2018.
- Esha won the Women’s, Youth Women’s and Junior Women’s 10m Air Pistol competitions.
- She defeated Manu Bhaker in the Women’s 10m Air Pistol event.
- Shweta, representing ONGC, won the bronze medal in the Women’s 10m Air Pistol event.
Abhinav Bindra won ISSF’s ‘Blue Cross’ award
- On 30 November 2018, shooter Abhinav Bindra was conferred with the ‘Blue Cross’ by the International Shooting Sports Federation’s (ISSF).
- It is the ISSF’s highest award.
- He was awarded for his outstanding services as the Chairman of the International Shooting Sports Federation’s Athletes Committee.
- He won the gold medal in 10m air rifle event at the Beijing Olympics in 2008.
Former President George HW Bush passed away
- Former American President George H W Bush passed away on 30 November 2018.
- He was the 41st President of the United States from 1989 to 1993.
- He had also served as the US Vice President from 1981 to 1989.
- He was the longest living President in US history.
- His son, George W. Bush, served as the 43rd U.S. President.
NGT appointed former HC judge U C Dhyani
- On 30 November 2018, the National Green Tribunal (NGT) appointed former Uttarakhand High Court judge, Justice U C Dhyani, as head of the three-member committee to oversee rejuvenation work of the Ganga river.
- Other Members of the committee will be from the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) and IIT Roorkee.
- The committee was set up by NGT on 6 August 2018.
Hornbill fest inaugurated in Nagaland
- The 19th edition of ‘Hornbill Festival’ was inaugurated in Nagaland on 1 December 2018.
- The festival will conclude on 10 December 2018.
- The aim of the festival is to display the rich traditions and the vibrant culture of Nagaland through colourful performances, crafts, sports, food fairs, games, and ceremonies.
World AIDS Day: 1 December
- World AIDS Day is observed on 1st December each year.
- The aim of the day is to spread awareness about the HIV/AIDS epidemic.
- The theme for 2018 is ‘Know Your Status’.
- The 2018 theme focusses on the importance of HIV testing as a gateway to HIV prevention and treatment.
- The day was first initiated by the World Health Organisation in 1988.
India’s economy grew at 7.1% 2nd quarter
- According to the data released by Central Statistics Office (CSO), India’s GDP (gross domestic product) growth rate for the second quarter (July-September) for the financial year 2018-2019 was 7.1%.
- The size of the GDP in the second quarter is estimated at Rs 33.98 lakh crore.
- India’s GDP growth rate for the first quarter (April-June) of the financial year 2018-2019 came in at 8.2%.
EU sets goal to be ‘climate neutral’ by 2050
- The European Union has unveiled a strategy to become the first major economy to go ‘climate neutral’ by 2050.
- The strategy includes investing in technological solutions to help lower carbon emissions.
- This move will cut premature air pollution deaths by 40%.
- Climate neutrality is achieved when carbon emissions are at zero.
India’s first owl festival organised in Pune
- The ‘Indian Owl Festival’, the country’s first owl fest, was held at Pune on 29 and 30 November 2018.
- The festival was organised by Ela Foundation, an NGO working towards nature education and conservation.
- The aim of the festival was to create awareness about owl as a bird and debunking numerous superstitions associated with it.