Current Affairs 16 August 2018 in
Updated daily current affairs for 16 August 2018.
Please visit Bhartialert Website for more Current
Affairs in English.
Current Affairs 16 August 2018
Important Current Affairs 16 August 2018
BSNL launches VOIP based WINGS service
- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) has launched BSNL WINGS a VOIP based service.
- In WINGS, there is no SIM or cable wiring as is a VOIP service through an app.
- The WINGS service offers unlimited free audio/video calling for one year.
- The facility can be used anywhere within the country and the app automatically uses the existing address book in the phone.
Bharti Axa ties up with Airtel Payments Bank
- Bharti Axa Life Insurance and Airtel Payments Bank entered into an alliance to offer the ‘Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana’ (PMJJBY).
- Airtel Payments Bank also becomes the first payments bank in India to offer the PMJJBY.
- Under the tie-up, PMJJBY will be initially available at one lakh Airtel Payments Bank banking points across the country.
Google honours Ebenezer Cobb Morley
- Google celebrated the birth anniversary of Ebenezer Cobb Morley, referred to as the father of modern football, with a doodle on 16th August 2018.
- Ebenezer Cobb Morley was a founding member and the first secretary of the Football Association or FA in 1863.
- FA is the oldest football body of the world and is credited with creating the rules and shaping modern football.
Madhya Pradesh Launches “Dial 100” Police App
- Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on 15th August launched Dial 100 Mobile app.
- The App will help the needy at the time of emergency.
- As soon as police receive a call through Dial 100 application, Madhya Pradesh Police will reach the location as soon as possible.
UK returns stolen 12th century Buddha statue
- A 12th Century statue of Lord Buddha which was stolen from India some 57 years ago was returned by the United Kingdom on 15th August 2018.
- The gold idol with silver inlay was one of the 14 images stole in 1961 from the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) site museum in Nalanda, Bihar.
- The image was discovered by Vijay Kumar, who is associated with India Pride Project.
Ang Lee to be honoured by DGA
- Oscar-winning director Ang Lee will be one of the recipients of the annual Directors Guild of America (DGA) honours at its ceremony.
- The DGA Honours recognises individuals and institutions that have made distinguished contributions to American culture through the world of film and television.
- Ang Lee received the Oscar award for ‘Life of Pie’ in 2013.
3 scientist awarded by Albany Medical Center
- The recipients of the annual Albany Medical Center Prize in Medicine and Biomedical Research were announced on 15th August 2018.
- The recipients are James Allison, Dr Carl June and Dr Steven Rosenberg.
- Three scientists will share a $500,000 medical prize for their studies of the immune system that have led to innovative treatments for cancer, HIV and other diseases.
K S Srinivas takes over as MPEDA chief
- KS Srinivas formally took over (on August 13) as Chairman of the Marine Products Export Development Authority (MPEDA) under the Ministry of Commerce & Industry.
- KS Srinivas is a 1997 batch IAS officer of the Kerala cadre.
- Prior to his new assignment, he served a stint as Joint Secretary in the Department of Agriculture Cooperation & Farmers’ Welfare, Ministry of Agriculture.
Government portal starts advocacy drive
- The government has started an advocacy drive based on ‘learning material’ offered by WhatsApp to create awareness among students, government officials and others around the issue of fake news.
- The campaign, being run by the Centre for Development of Advanced Computing on a portal — ‘infosecawareness.in’.
- It is targeted at school children and youth as well as government officials.
Haryana’s first civil airport in Hisar
- Haryana’s first civil airport was inaugurated at Hisar.
- A MoU was also signed between the state government and SpiceJet Limited for assistance in development of Phase-II and III of the integrated aviation hub.
- With the inauguration of the first phase of the project today, all facilities required for flying an aircraft have been made available at the airport.
Telangana launches two Human Welfare Schemes
- Telangana government launched two major schemes – free eye screening for all citizens and life insurance for farmers on 15th August, 2018.
- Under ”Kanti Velugu” (Eye Sight), the entire population of 3.7 crore will be provided free eye care.
- ”Rytu Bima” (Farmer insurance) is aimed at providing life insurance cover of Rs. 5 lakh to every farmer.
Permanent commission for women in armed force
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced that women officers in India’s armed forces would now have the option to take up permanent commission through the Short Service Commission.
- As per the Short Service Commission, a woman officer can serve for 10-14 years.
- The Indian Air Force and the Indian Navy also grant permanent commission to women officers.
NASA’s Opportunity Rover remains unreachable
- NASA has reportedly not been able to establish contact with the Opportunity Rover for over two months.
- Opportunity Rover has been exploring Mars for 14 years.
- The last time NASA heard from Opportunity was June 10, 2018.
- The rover had to undergo an emergency shutdown in June, after the Martian dust storm prevented it from powering itself through its solar panels.
Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Abhiyaan unveiled
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced the launch of world’s largest government-funded programme – the Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Abhiyaan.
- It will be launched on the birth anniversary of Pt. Deen Dayal Upadhyay on 25th September.
- The government has decided to provide 5 lakh rupees health care insurance coverage for the poor and vulnerable.
Renowned Malayalam poet Chemmanam Chacko dies
- Noted Malayalam poet and Sahitya Akademi awardee Chemmanam Chacko died on 15th August, 2018.
- Chacko had taught Malayalam at schools and colleges.
- Chacko was known for his satirical works.
- He had won several honours, including those by the Kerala Sahitya Akademi, Sanjayan Award, and P. Smaraka Puraskaram.
BSE to launch liquidity enhancement plan
- BSE will launch a liquidity enhancement scheme on monthly single stock options and index options.
- Under the liquidity enhancement scheme (LES), brokers and other market intermediaries are given incentives for a specified period of time to bring in liquidity.
- LES will generate investor interest in securities which have limited trading activity.
Nihal Sarin becomes India’s 53rd Grandmaster
- Nihal Sarin became India’s 53rd Grandmaster after attaining his third and final Grand Master-norm in the Abu Dhabi Masters.
- He is only the third grandmaster from Kerala after GN Gopal and SL Narayanan.
- He is the twelfth youngest grandmaster in chess history.
- Earlier in June 2018, Chennai-born R Praggnanandhaa secured the title of the grandmaster and became India’s 52nd grandmaster.
N Raghuram elected Chair of INI
- Indian scientist-academician, N Raghuram, has been elected Chair of the International Nitrogen Initiative (INI), a global policy making initiative.
- Raghuram is the first Indian and Asian to be elected to the Chair.
- Raghuram specialises in the biological determinants of nitrogen use efficiency in crops.
- He has been the President of the Indian Nitrogen Group.
NTPC to set up unit for coal mining
- NTPC will soon set up a subsidiary to handle its coal mining operations.
- NTPC also has a plan to list the coal subsidiary subsequently on stock exchanges.
- It would cover operations of its all coal mines and will be run like a coal company.
- The company has already started extracting coal from the Pakri Barwadih mine.
Former cricket captain Ajit Wadekar dead
- Former Indian cricket captain Ajit Wadekar died on 15th August, 2018.
- Ajit Wadekar led the country to its first overseas wins in England and West Indies in 1971.
- He played 37 Test matches and scored 2,113 runs.
- He was also India’s first ODI captain.
- He was awarded Arjuna Award in 1967 and India’s fourth highest civilian honour, the Padmashri, in 1972.
Best Of Luck!