Current Affairs 14 August 2018 in English
Updated daily current affairs for 14 August 2018. Please visit Bhartialert Website for more Current Affairs in English.
> Current Affairs 14 August 2018
Important Current Affairs 14 August 2018
Vienna is world’s most liveable city
- Vienna has replaced Melbourne for the first time at the top of the Economist Intelligence Unit’s Global Liveability Index.
- Damascus retained the last place, followed by the Dhaka, and Lagos in Nigeria.
- The survey does not include several of the world’s most dangerous capitals, such as Baghdad and Kabul.
Rajnath inaugurates NDMC Smart City projects
- Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurated various initiatives as part of smart city project of New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) on 13th August, 2018.
- The facilities inaugurated includes smart poles with free wi-fi, 360 degree cameras and environmental sensors, solar tree with the LED lights, mobile charging points, ideation centre for promoting smart city entrepreneurs.
IRDA constitutes working group
- Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDA) constituted a working group to the norms for insurance surveyors.
- The 7-member working group has been formed to address areas pertaining to licensing, renewal and others in the context of the existing regulatory framework for Surveyors and Loss Assessors.
- The working group will submit its report within 2 months.
Govt dismisses Usha Ananthasubramanian
- The government has dismissed Usha Ananthasubramanian, former managing director of scam-hit Punjab National Bank and Allahabad Bank, from service.
- Usha, who completed her one year as the CEO & MD of Allahabad Bank on May 6 2018.
- She also served as the Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer of Punjab National Bank from August 2015 to May 2017.
Uttarakhand HC appoints itself as guardian
- The Uttarakhand high court said it would act as the legal guardian of cows in the state.
- The court did this by invoking the ‘parens patriae’ doctrine and is a doctrine that grants the court inherent power and authority to act as guardian for those who are unable to take care for themselves.
- The court banned slaughter of cows, bulls, bullocks, heifers or calves in the state.
Smitha tops list of India’s wealthiest women
- Smitha V. Crishna was ranked first in the ‘Kotak Wealth Hurun-Leading Wealthy Women 2018 list’.
- Roshni Nadar, the CEO and executive director at HCL, ranks second in the list.
- The chairperson of the Times Group, Indu Jain, ranks third in the list.
- Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw, founder and MD of Biocon, ranks fourth in the list.
Hry to launch Ayushman Bharat in 22 districts
- Haryana will launch its pilot health project Ayushman Bharat Haryana from August 15, 2018 in 22 district hospitals, one ESI and one medical college.
- Under this scheme medical facility upto Rs 5 lakh will be provided for free to 15.50 lakh families.
- Initially this facility will be provided in government hospitals, which would later be started in empanelled private hospitals.
Mazgon Dock Shipbuilders gets SEBI’s nod
- Mazgon Dock Shipbuilders has received markets regulator SEBI’s go ahead to float an initial public offering.
- The company had filed draft papers with the SEBI in April, 2018 and obtained its “observations” on August 10, 2018.
- SEBI’s “observations” are necessary for any company to launch public issues like initial public offer (IPO) and follow-on public offer (FPO) and rights issue.
JCOs are gazetted officers, says Defence Min
- Junior Commissioned Officers (JCO) in the Indian military are gazetted officers, the Defence Ministry has clarified in an order issued on August 1, 2018.
- The Ministry has instructed the three services to issue suitable identity cards to the JCOs immediately in the order.
- JCOs and equivalent officer having been accorded gazetted officer status by an Act of Parliament.
India rejects U.K. proposal on DNA tests
- India rejected a proposal by the U.K. to use DNA sampling to establish the nationality of illegal migrants living there citing “privacy issues”.
- As per the proposal, security agencies in India were to verify the antecedents of illegal migrants without documents in the U.K. within 72 days and those with documents within 15 days.
- India refused to sign the final pact in April 2018.
Jodhpur, Marwar cleanliest railway stations
- Rajasthan’s Jodhpur and Marwar railway stations have emerged the cleanliest among the major stations in the country.
- While Jodhpur secured the first position in A1 category stations for 2018, Marwar took the pole position in A category, according to the study report released by Railway Minister Piyush Goyal.
- the North Western Railway (NWR) topped the list as the cleanest zone.
Ashish appointed CEO of PM crop insurance
- Ashish Kumar Bhutani has been appointed Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY).
- Bhutani, a 1992 batch IAS officer of Assam-Meghalaya cadre, has been appointed to the post till May 9, 2020.
- PMFBY is the new crop insurance scheme launched by Central Government in 2016.
First project under Swadesh Darshan Scheme
- The first project under the central government’s Swadesh Darshan Scheme, ‘North East Circuit: Imphal and Khongjom’, will be inaugurated by Manipur Governor Najma Heptulla on 14th August, 2018.
- The project covers 2 sites – Kangla Fort and Khongjom.
- ‘Swadesh Darshan’ is a flagship scheme of the Ministry of Tourism for the development of thematic circuits in the country.
Terms of two PSU banks’ chairmen extended
- The government gave two-years extension to non-executive chairman of two public sector banks.
- Canara Bank Chairman T N Manoharan and Bank of India Chairman G Padmanabhan were given two-years extension each.
- They were appointed chairmen in August 2014 for a term of three years.
SC approves colour coding of vehicles
- The Supreme Court approved a proposal submitted by the Union of India (UOI) to colour-code vehicles according to the fuel they run on, in an effort to help counter air pollution.
- The apex court ruling allows for blue stickers to be used for vehicles running on petrol and CNG, and orange stickers for diesel vehicles.
- However, it clarified that this would only be applicable in Delhi and NCR.
DAC approves procurement of 6 patrol vessels
- The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) approved procurement of six indigenously designed and manufactured Next Generation Offshore Patrol Vessels (NGOPVs) for the Indian Navy.
- The DAC is headed by Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman.
- The vessels will be built in indigenous shipyards and will be fitted with state-of-the-art sensor suite with increased endurance.
Pune tops Ease of Living Index 2018
- Pune has topped the Ease of Living Index 2018, followed by Navi Mumbai and Greater Mumbai.
- This was announced at the launch of the Index as well as Swachh Survekshan 2019 in New Delhi on 13th August 2018.
- The Ease of Living Index will help cities assess their liveability in relation to global and national benchmarks.
Manjula appointed as new chairperson of APTEL
- Justice Manjula Chellur took oath as the Chairperson of the Appellate Tribunal for Electricity (APTEL) under the Ministry of Power in New Delhi on 13th August 2018.
- Prior to this, Justice Chellur was the Chief Justice of Bombay High Court.
- She was the first woman Chief Justice of Calcutta High Court.
- She was the first female judge of the Karnataka High Court.
Inflation slows to 9-month low at 4.17%
- Retail inflation eased to a nine-month low of 4.17% in July 2018 as food inflation cooled to its lowest level since July 2017.
- Inflation based on the Consumer Price Index (CPI) slowed from the 4.92% pace set in June 2018.
- Among all the Indian states and Union Territories, West Bengal recorded the highest annual inflation rate of 7.37%.
Egon to help BBB in PSB leadership programmes
- The Indian Banks’ Association has appointed Egon Zehnder International as a ‘Knowledge Partner’ to the Banks Board Bureau.
- It will design, implement and institutionalise a flagship leadership development strategy for public sector banks in India.
- In addition, Hay Consultants Private Limited will assist the bureau in assessing leadership competencies of candidates.