Current Affairs 13 August 2018 in English
Updated daily current affairs for 13 August 2018. Please visit Bhartialert Website for more Current Affairs in English.
> Current Affairs 13 August 2018
Important Current Affairs 13 August 2018
Crude steel output up 6% to 8.73 MT in July
- India’s crude steel output grew 6% to 8.73 million tonne (MT) during July 2018.
- The country had produced 8.22 MT crude steel during July 2017, Joint Plant Committee (JPC) said in its latest report.
- JPC, under Ministry of Steel, is the only institution in the country that collects and maintains data on the domestic iron and steel sector.
Centre unlocks 66000 crore green fund
- The Centre has unlocked more than 66,000 crore rupees to increase the country’s forest cover.
- The fund is an accumulated amount of money which user agencies have been depositing as compensation for diverting forest land for non-forest purposes.
- As per the rules about 80% of the total money will be used by the states for plantation and other green projects.
RBI net sells USD 6.184 bn of US currency
- RBI continued to remain a net seller of the U.S. dollar in June 2018, after it sold $6.184 billion of the U.S. dollar in the spot market, RBI data showed.
- In June 2018, the RBI bought $4.020 billion of U.S. dollar, while it sold $10.204 billion in the spot market.
- In May 2018 and April 2018, RBI had net sold Rs. 5.767 billion and $2.483 billion of the U.S. currency, respectively.
Anderson 1st to took 100 wickets at Lord’s
- England fast bowler James Anderson became the first bowler to take 100 Test wickets at the Lord’s Cricket Ground.
- Anderson achieved the feat on day four of the second Test in the ongoing five-match Test series against India.
- It was India’s opening batsman Murali Vijay who became his 100th Test wicket.
Rafael Nadal wins fourth Rogers Cup
- Rafael Nadal won his 80th Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) World Tour title on August 12, 2018.
- Nadal beat Stefanos Tsitsipas for his fourth Rogers Cup crown and fifth victory of the year.
- Nadal also won the Rogers Cup in Toronto in 2008 and in Montreal in 2005 and 2013.
Axis Bank introduces iris authentication
- Axis Bank has become the first bank in the country to introduce Iris Scan Authentication feature for Aadhaar-based transactions through its micro ATM tablets.
- This service will boost the bank’s financial inclusion.
- Micro ATMs completely eliminate the requirement of debit cards, passwords, PINs, and user IDs, and empower consumers to avail banking services using only their Aadhaar numbers.
CSIR develops new Clot buster
- A new Clot buster, ‘PEGylated Streptokinase’ has been developed at CSIR-Institute of Microbial Technology, Chandigarh and is all set to revolutionize the treatment of ischemic strokes.
- Ischemic stroke is a condition caused by a dysfunction in the supply of blood to the brain.
- CSIR and Epygen Biotech Pvt. Ltd. have entered into an agreement to develop the PEGylated Streptokinase.
India hands 1st lot of houses in Sri Lanka
- India handed over the first lot of houses built for Indian-origin people in Sri Lanka’s tea plantation areas on 12th August, 2018.
- India had committed 60,000 houses under the ‘innovative Indian housing project’.
- It is the largest Indian assistance project in any country with a grant of over USD 350 million.
Former LS Somnath Chatterjee passes away
- Former Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee passed away on August 13, 2018.
- Born on July 25, 1929, Chatterjee was a ten-time Lok Sabha MP.
- He was one of the longest-serving parliamentarians in India.
- He served as the Speaker of the Lok Sabha from 2004 to 2009.
- Chatterjee won the Outstanding Parliamentarian Award in 1996.
Nat Wildlife Genetic Resource Bank inagurated
- The ‘National Wildlife Genetic Resource Bank’ was inaugurated by Union Science and Technology Minister Harsh Vardhan in Hyderabad
- This facility would facilitate the exchange of genetic material between Indian zoos for maintaining genetic diversity.
- Wildlife Genetic Resource Banking is the systematic collection and preservation of tissues, sperm, eggs and embryos, genetic material.
Justice Jhaveri takes oath as CJ of Odisha HC
- Justice Kalpesh Satyendra Jhaveri was sworn in as the Chief Justice of Orissa High Court.
- Odisha Governor Ganeshi Lal administered the oath of office to the new Chief Justice.
- Justice Jhaveri, who was elevated to Gujarat HC Judge on March 7, 2004, was confirmed as a permanent Judge in June 2005. He was then transferred to Rajasthan HC in August 2016.
Chandrayaan-2 to be launched in January-March
- India’s second moon mission Chandrayaan-2 will now be launched in the January-March window in 2019.
- Chandrayaan-2, which will be launched onboard the Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV) Mk-3.
- The lander has been named “Vikram” as a tribute to the pioneer of India’s space programme and former ISRO chairman (1963-71), Vikram Sarabhai, Sivan said.
Farmer can avail Rs 1.50 lakh loan waiver
- The Maharashtra government has expanded the scope of the loan waiver scheme.
- The government has now extended the benefits to every member of the farmer’s family in case of a separate loan account.
- Earlier, the state government had considered the farmer’s family as one unit and considered it eligible to claim waiver of Rs 1.50 lakh agricultural debt.
CJI changes subject-wise roster in SC
- The Chief Justice of India has changed the subject-wise roster for judges in the Supreme Court to categorise cases for Justice R. Banumathi, who now heads a Bench.
- The Bench headed by Justice Banumathi would hear cases on family law issues, labour, civil cases, public premises eviction, land law, etc.
- The subject-wise roster was first implemented from February 5, 2018.
5 Caspian Sea states sign landmark convention
- The leaders of the five countries bordering the Caspian Sea signed a landmark deal on the legal status of the sea.
- The leaders of Azerbaijan, Iran, Kazakhstan, Russia and Turkmenistan signed the agreement on the status of the inland sea.
- The agreement was made to settle a long-lasting dispute on whether the Caspian is a sea or a lake.
ISRO plans to launch TV channel
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is planning to launch a TV channel to promote scientific temper among people and conduct training camps for school students.
- ISRO will select students and organise training camps for 25 to 30 days and the students will be allowed to visit laboratory and make their small satellite.
- ISRO was planning to set up an incubation centre for startups
Justice M R Shah sworn in as CJ of Patna HC
- Justice Mukesh R Shah was sworn in as the Chief Justice of Patna High Court.
- Justice Shah was a judge of the Gujarat High Court before his appointment as the Chief Justice of Patna High Court.
- Bihar Governor Satya Pal Malik administered the oath of office to Justice Shah.
- He became a judge of the Gujarat High Court on March 7, 2004 and was confirmed as permanent judge on June 22, 2005.
RCEP trade ministers to meet in Singapore
- Trade ministers of Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) member countries, including India and China, will hold a crucial meeting in Singapore on August 30-31, 2018.
- RCEP mega trade pact aims to cover goods, services, investments, economic and technical cooperation, competition and intellectual property rights.
- RCEP bloc comprises 10 Asean members and their six FTA partners.
Nepal-India Literature Festival 2018 begins
- Nepal-India Literature Festival 2018 has begun in Birgunj, Nepal on August 12, 2018.
- On this occasion eminent writers from both the countries were also felicitated.
- Around 250 participants from India and Nepal are attending the two day festival.
- The event has been organised by Nepal India Co-operation Forum.
Messi is Barcelona’s most decorated player
- Lionel Messi won his 33rd title to become the most successful player of Barcelona on August 12, 2018.
- Messi is the Barcelona’s new captain.
- Barcelona beat Sevilla in the Spanish Super Cup as Messi overtook Andres Iniesta, who had 32 titles when he left for the Japanese league.
Best Of Luck!